It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Favorite movies?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:11 am 
Site Admin

So what's you favorite movies, directors, and that sort of thing?

My first mention goes to Revolver, a Guy Ritchie piece that was largely panned by the critics and not successful at the box office. I love Lock Stock and Snatch, but Revolver is a masterpiece of of a story, as it takes a standard bubble gum genre and attaches significant meaning in amazingly subtle way, which may be why a bunch of people didn't get it. It's worth the price of admission for the cast and performances alone. But the real value is the collection of quotes in the film and the professors at the end who offer their insights into the deeper ideas behind the story. One of my favorites. :thumb:

A good one I watched recently was Who Am I, which is a German film with hackers as the central theme. Now just that alone would lead any reasonable person to assume a cheesy flick with not much value, but this film is an exception. Not only does it explore deeper psychological themes, it's just a cool flick. I can't say much without risking a spoiler, but it's worth the subtitles if you don't speak German. I found some info online that rumored a Hollywood entity was considering remaking an English version, but with a different director. Of course, casting would be different, but the different director concerns me because it's really a good film and I wonder of somebody else can do it justice. So, I think it's good enough to be worried a redo is gonna suck because ya know how that usually goes. ;)

IMDB link: Who Am I (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3042408/)

Another good one I is My Name Is Nobody (1973), which is the craziest western I ever saw. I had to watch it twice just because it was so oddball. Spawned by Sergio Leone, staring Peter Fonda and Terence Hill, this is an amusing take on the genre and it keeps you guessing what is really going on the whole time. So plan on watching this one twice. It's worth it. :)

IMDB link: My Name Is Nobody (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070215/)

I'm trying to think...there's another western that was good, I'm not having any luck searching at the moment, I'll get back to you. It was about a cowboy, an Indian, and a horse...you can probably see how a search isn't very helpful. :)